Thursday, July 5, 2012

Quack, Quack

After seeing a recent post by my favorite blog, I was inspired to don a similar ensamble for today involving what might be my favorite shirt: a Duck Head polo. Also, I felt it was a good time to give those who dont know a little background on the brand and what it means to me. 

Way, way back in 1865, 2 brothers decided to buy surplus army tent material. It was a heavy canvas material called "duck". Soon thereafter the brothers George and Joe O'Bryan decided to make work pants and shirts from what was left over. They wanted to trademark and name the brand "Duck". B
ut it was rejected by the U.S. Trademark Registation Office because the term was in general use. So they settled on "Duck Head" instead and the brand was officially born. 

Fast forward many moons to my middle and high school years. The brand was very popular among the hunting and fishing set. Their uniform was very simple: Duck Head polo, khaki shorts, and boat shoes. At the time, I wasn't very interested in it. I just thought it was for the "white boys" (silly me). But as you know, with age comes wisdom. And now as I previously stated, its my favorite shirt. Its got a simple logo, you don't see many people wear it anymore, and it reminds me of my childhood. And there's one thing I'm beginning to realize: the older I get, the more I appreciate the childhood memories that have shaped me into who I am today.

All Photos Taken in Downtown District, Summerville, SC


Polo Shirt~Duck Head(thrifted), Jeans~Lands End Canvas, Loafers~Bass, Watch~Timex, Belt~JCrew, Sunglasses~H&M

No comments:

Post a Comment