Thursday, May 17, 2012

Double Duty


Allow me to introduce you to my oldest child Malayjah. She's 7 years old and in the 1st grade. Her hobbies include dancing, loud music, and dancing to loud music.



As a parent, it didn't take long for me to realize that clothing kids can be an expensive thing. For one thing, they're always growing. So you have to keep replenishing when they outgrow something. And the other, they're as clumsy as all get out. Food, juice, mud, the list goes on and on. Because of these reasons, many parents see no need in buying nice things for their kids. But for us, it would look a little off if my wife and I are looking sharp and our kids are looking uh, not so sharp. But those who know us, know that we're not rich....yet that is. So over the years my wife and I have implemented a few key strategies that have helped us get more miles out of our kids clothes, and to buy good quality at a budget.

1. Know when to shop.Very rarely do we buy things at the spur of the moment. All of our shopping is planned. The best time to shop for clothing is during the major holidays. We all know about Black Friday. But what about Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day? Stores mark things down to at least 40% off during these times. That's when you stock up. Places like Gap, Old Navy, and Children's Place are great spots for jeans and shoes. And also a great time is at the end of the season when they're trying to get rid of stuff to make room for new shipments. The golden months are February (end of winter) and September (end of summer). And lastly, don't be afraid to check online because that's where the biggest selection will be. Just be sure to check the sizing section as all brands have different opinions of what "4t" means.

2. Prep them before eating.
If they're wearing something that you would prefer them not get messy, a simple napkin tucked into the collar of their shirt will prevent around 80% of accidents. Its ok if the other 20% falls in their lap. Jeans are much easier to clean than shirts. Also, try to order them meals that aren't messy. Meatballs no, chicken fingers yes.

3. Make those clothes pull double duty.
This last tip only works for girls. Certain types of dresses can be used as tops and you can add pants or a skirt for a different look. The dress has to be slim and it can't be too long for this to work. The ideal time would be when she gets taller and the dress becomes too short to wear alone. So instead of giving it away, it can be used as a top and you can hold on to it much longer. That's how you get those extra miles. Below I've styled a few different looks giving you guys some examples on how to pull it off.



Dress~Tommy Hilfiger, Shawl~Baby Gap, Ballet Flats~Old Navy


Dress(used as top)~Tommy Hilfiger, Chinos~Polo Ralph Lauren, Boat Shoes~Sperry Top-Sider, Ribbon Belt~Polo Ralph Lauren


Chambray Romper~Old Navy, Ribbon Belt~Polo Ralph Lauren, Shoes~Old Navy



Chambray Romper(worn as top)~Old Navy, Madras Skirt~Tommy Hilfiger, Cardigan~Polo Ralph Lauren, Sandals~Baby Gap

Shirt Dress~Polo Ralph Lauren, Ribbon Belt~Polo Ralph Lauren, Sandals~Old Navy




Shirt Dress(worn as top)~Polo Ralph Lauren, Jeans~Old Navy, Ribbon Belt~Polo Ralph Lauren, Boat Shoes~Sperry Top-Sider




9 comments:

  1. She is so beautiful! And you did an awesome job styling her :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It was pretty fun Dion that with her.

      Delete
  2. shes going to be a fierce stylish girl i can already tell !

    whoreswearchanel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be interesting to see how she turns out.

      Delete
  3. Another job well done Desmond! Malayjah did an awesome job also working it! Maybe one day she will want to model w/ the loud music!! Lol. Give my luv to the fam! God Bless u all!
    Ur cuz Mo *_*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She better turn that music down in my house, lol.

      Delete
  4. oh my gosh. i am dying at how darling she is!! Those outfits are incredible.

    xo,

    wardrobe girls
    www.wardrobesimetandliked.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. cute!!!

    http://glamourgirl-bg.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shes gorgeous! A very beautiful girl. Im following you now, by the way. My blog is new but heres a link. redheadedprep.blogspot.com have a great weekend! -Kylene Kasperson

    ReplyDelete